The Executive Committee (EC) consists of the President, President-Elect, Past President, Secretary-Treasurer, Senior Member at Large, Junior Member at Large, the Executive Director, and the Business Manager. The Executive Director, Business Manager, and the Editor of Kinesiology Today and Kinesiology Kinnections are ex-officio, non-voting member of the committee.
The President- Elect shall be elected annually. The Secretary-Treasurer shall be elected on even number years for a two-year term. The Members-at-Large shall be elected for two year terms, one to be elected on an even-numbered year and one on an odd-numbered year. After being elected the new officers shall assume their duties at the conclusion of the next annual workshop. The President-elect shall become the President and the President shall become the Past President at this time. The Executive Director serves for a term of three years and the Business Manager is a permanent employee.
The Executive Committee is responsible for the overall governance and management of the AKA by establishing policies and making sure the policies are followed. The EC provides general guidance and leadership to the association. Specific duties include the following:
- Sends out the call for nominations and selects new Board of Directors members. In appointing members to the Board, consideration should be given to an equitable representation considering institutional size, structure, location, sub discipline and level of program.
- Establishes policies and reviews and recommends by-laws revisions
- Develops projects and proposes new initiatives
- Sets the time and place for all meetings and workshops
- Establishes the annual budget and approves major expenditures
- Approves appointments to Standing Committees. In appointing committee members consideration should be given to an equitable representation of institutional size, location and gender of committee member. Committee members should possess a skill set appropriate to serving on the committee.
- Approves appointments to Ad Hoc Committees
- Establishes the functions of all Standing Committees
- Receives committee reports
- Delegates duties and responsibilities to the Executive Director
- Reviews annually at the Board Retreat the performance of the Executive Director and the Editor of KT and KK
The President keeps the Board of Directors informed of the decisions made by the EC.
Date approved: June, 2015
Dates revised: January, 2017