Some Suggestions Regarding the Process for Establishing Learning Outcomes for an Academic Department
The manner in which learning outcomes are developed, used and made available to faculty and students will vary across institutions. However, the following sample process is provided for illustrative purposes.
- Faculty review and provide feedback regarding AKA recommended learning outcomes.
- Additional department-specific learning outcomes can be added if desirable.
- Existing course syllabi are reviewed for content and consistency with the learning outcomes.
- Matrices mapping learning outcomes against courses and other learning experiences are developed.
- The final learning outcomes are added to course syllabi and instructors are made aware of need to evaluate attainment of these learning outcomes.
- Proposed learning outcomes are shared for comment and possible revision with various constituencies including faculty, students, advisors, etc…
- Learning outcomes are re-evaluated and updated by the department on a regular basis as needed.